The First Squad in the Flying Geckos Climbing Club.
CERTIFICATES AND AWARDS
Every Yellow Gecko will have a certificate completion Schedule in their coaches’ folder. This form tracks their progress towards individual awards and is used as an assessment form for the knowledge certificates.
There are 2 knowledge Certificates, Knowledge A and Knowledge B.
Each taking about 20 weeks to complete.
To gain a knowledge certificate the climber has to attend at least 15 yellow squad sessions covering that certificate and demonstrate the use and/or understanding of skills/knowledge.
The certificates cover:
- safety skills
- climbing gym manners
- knots and rope care
- basic technique knowledge
- basic route reading
- goal setting
- overview outdoor climbing (done indoors)
- overview competitive climbing
- current people in climbing
An optional Award program that acknowledges Grade competency.
To get a grade award:
- Tell your coach what grade you want to go for
- Climb 3 climbs of that grade
- or higher
- without falling off or resting on the rope
- 2 different wall areas (Arena, Natural wall, or Alleyway)
- 2 different route setters
- Within a session
- Your coach will give you a grading form with the climbs you did, if you completed them and a comment on your climbing
- If you get the grade they will circle and initial the grade on your completion schedule.
- Your certificate will come within the term.
Committed Climber Award
This award resets each term.
It acknowledges hard work and attendance.
- minimum 4 climbs every session
- minimum 80% attendance
MOVING UP TO ORANGE SQUAD
There are 2 methods to move up to orange squad:
Knowledge Certificate Completion
On completion of both knowledge Certificates a Gecko will automatically move into orange squad.
This will take about 4 terms for people who regularly attend sessions.
- Knowledge Certificate A
- Knowledge Certificate B
Award Fast Track
The Award fast Track moves Geckos up if they achieve the following
- A grade Award of 19 or higher
- A Committed Climber Award